How much does it cost to renovate a kitchen in NZ? (2022) – updated
This article has been updated to include updated cost for kitchen renovations for the year 2022.
An average cost for renovating a kitchen in New Zealand is between $26,000 and $35,000 if you are renovating with a renovation company. Kitchen renovation cost NZ wide can differ based on the company you choose or if you are doing a DIY job. You will save money if you are doing a DIY job but they can be risky if you are not a trained professional. Costs to renovate a kitchen depend on various factors. The intention to renovate or your reason to renovate the kitchen is one of the major factors that will determine your budget.
If you are renovating to sell then we recommend you to renovate using standard mid range materials and not customise your renovation too much. If you are renovating to add comfort or increase the functionality of your kitchen then we recommend our clients to go for more quality products so that you can enjoy your kitchen for a much longer time.
We have created a comprehensive guide for cost of kitchen renovation in New Zealand which list all the factors that contribute to the overall cost for your kitchen. Whether you are doing a DIY job or doing a luxury kitchen renovation, this guide will help you on your research before you renovate your kitchen.
Check this article if you wish to see cost for a basic, mid-range, luxury remodel for a kitchen in NZ
Table of Contents
- Average cost of kitchen renovation in New Zealand 2021 ⇓
- Kitchen renovation costs in Auckland⇓
– Breakdown of costs for all factors for a kitchen renovation
- Cost of kitchen renovation per square meter⇓
– Basic kitchen renovation costs
– Mid Range Kitchen renovation costs
– Luxury Kitchen renovation costs
- Small Kitchen renovation costs⇓
– 10 by 10 meter square
– 12 by 12 meter square
- How much does it cost to renovate a large kitchen?⇓
- How much do renovation companies charge to renovate a kitchen?⇓
– Kitchen cabinets⇓
– Refinishing old cabinets to save costs
– Cost for kitchen appliances⇓
– Cost for kitchen countertops⇓
– Cost for Splashbacks⇓
– Cost for Kitchen flooring⇓
- How much does it cost to hire a kitchen designer?⇓
- How much does labour cost for a kitchen renovation NZ?⇓
– Plumbing costs⇓
– Electrician and lighting costs⇓
– Painting costs⇓
– Flooring and Tiling⇓
– Permits from Auckland council⇓
- How to remodel a kitchen on a budget?⇓
– Basic Kitchen Vs Mid range Kitchen Vs Luxury kitchen on a budget⇓
– Top 4 tips if you are renovating on a budget
- Return on Investment when you renovate a kitchen in New Zealand⇓
- 7 Tips on planning your Kitchen Renovation.⇓
- Choosing the right kitchen renovation company in Auckland.⇓
1. What is the average cost of a renovated kitchen in 2022?
An average cost to renovate your kitchen in 2021 is approximately around $28,908. However, if you are creating your dream kitchen then you can expect to spend between $25,664 to $31,256. The total cost of a kitchen will depend on the cost of cabinets, appliances, countertop, flooring, quality of materials, labour and if there is a change in layout.
|$25,664 to $31,256.||$16,832||$28,908.||$173,880|
2. Kitchen Renovation Cost (NZ)
As you can see the table above is a good representation of costs for small to big projects. Small projects include changing your cabinet doors, applying a new coat of paint or simple changing your splashback. Bigger projects will include demolishing your existing kitchen and redoing the kitchen. Full kitchen renovation projects mean that you have to custom built your cabinets, install new benchtops, change your flooring, installing a new splashback, changing your lights, and installing new kitchen appliances. the cost will depend on the type of materials you choose, if there is any change in layout and the size of your kitchen. Projects such as these will start from $41,000+ at a minimum.
So, how much does each item in a Kitchen renovation cost in NZ?
The cost for a kitchen renovation will depends on what you want in your kitchen. If you see the table below, the table will show you how much you can expect to spend on each item of your kitchen. This breakdown will help you see your estimated spending cost and is a good guide for budgeting your renovation.
|Installation & Labour||18%||$5,695|
|Countertops & Backsplash||11%||$3,381|
|Windows & Doors||4%||$1408|
3. Cost for renovating a kitchen per square meter.
On an average homeowner spend about $2,300 square meter for their kitchen. You might think that $207 is a very high number but this is only an average. The starting price per square meter is $1,533 and people doing high-end kitchen renovations might spend as much as $4167 per meter. Before you start your renovation, it is wise to ask a few questions to yourself.
- What exactly do you want to do with the available space?
- What do you want to get out of this renovation?
- What part of the kitchen do you want to renovate? Also, think about what parts would you like to leave and do not want us to touch.
- What special features are you considering adding to your new kitchen space?
- Are you going to keep your kitchen layout the same, or do you to make some changes?
- What style do you want your kitchen to be?
- Lastly, now think about your budget. How much are you willing to spend on that dream kitchen of yours?
If you want to add value to your home, you might want to think about your budget. The industry recommends spending between 5% – 15% of the value of your home on a kitchen renovation if your intention is to sell.
Basic, Mid-range, Luxury kitchen remodel guide
The table below shows an estimated guide of what your kitchen will include and how much you will be spending on your kitchen. Depending on your budget, there are three distinct ranges that your kitchen remodel will come under. The ranges are basic kitchen renovation (upgrade few things), mid-range (new adjustments- layout, new cabinetry, etc.) and luxury (something glamorous).
|Basic Level||Mid-range Level||Luxury Level|
|$16,560 – $28,980||$32,000 – $88,320||
Up to $173,880
Basic Kitchen Renovation in Hillsborough
Mid Range Kitchen in West Harbour
This is just an average estimated cost guide to help you plan before choosing to renovate. Most clients, however, do not fit into these three distinct categories. They often pick various aspects from each category to make a kitchen that is unique to them.
If you wish to keep your kitchen layout the same but want to make a few changes then that will incur an additional cost. The reason that a change in layout means additional costs is because the area needs new plumbing as well as re-wiring which need counsel approval. Any council approval will require architectural drawings, documentation, and inspection. The additional cost for this could lie between $2,070 – $6,210.
Budget-Friendly Tip- Repair your kitchen cabinets and doors. Try polishing and restoring countertops instead of paying for new materials.
4. How much does it cost to remodel a small kitchen renovation in NZ? – How much does a kitchen renovation cost?
A small kitchen renovation is typically around $5,520 to $27,600 which could mean simply upgrading certain features. In terms of square foot, it would mean a kitchen which is 75 or smaller. It all depends on what’s features that you want to apply. There are a few tips that you may want to consider,
- Most homeowners have said that they wish to have more storage than space. You can add additional storage space by installing pull-out baskets, spice drawers, section drawers for cutlery and plates and bowls, or even corner cabinets. Adding such conveniences gives you the storage space you require without having to build new cabinets for storage.
- Installing storage drawers within your existing cabinets will allow you to have extra counterspace for meal preparation.
- Extra Countertop- pick a modern single sink rather than a double sink. Maybe have 4 kitchen stoves instead of 8. This will help you have more counter space, and you will also save money which you can then use for other things that you want in your kitchen.
It is always good to consult professional renovation companies and designers to get advice before you commit to your kitchen renovation. These companies will help in achieving the functionality you require and the aesthetics that you want. They will recommend the best options available for you to create a kitchen that is right for your family They will also show you 3D models and rendered drawings of your kitchen will include materials, textures, and any fixtures so you can see what your kitchen would look upon completion.
This small kitchen (pictured above) was renovated in Greenlane, Auckland. Joanna and Steve had a closed in and old kitchen which needed an upgrade. We demolished a wall to make it more open plan and chose a neutral theme to make the kitchen look more airy and light. See Joanna and Steve’s full project details + before and after photos here.
10’x10’ vs 12’x12’
Let us talk about what it would cost you in terms of square meters. For a 10’x10’, which is between 75 to 100+ square feet, you will be spending between $20,700 to $47,400. In comparison, if your kitchen size is 12’x12’, which is an average size for a small kitchen then remodelling it will cost you between $27,600 to $62,100.
5. How much does it cost to remodel a large kitchen in NZ?
For a large kitchen renovation (18 or more square meter) it will cost between $62,000 and $138,000. This could also include extensive work like double appliances, a double island, butler’s pantry and change in layout.
After renovation in Stanmore Bay
Project specifications (Pictured above) – Mary Stuart’s previous kitchen was old and closed off. We demolished the wall that was separating the kitchen from the living room to create a large open planned kitchen in a rustic style. See full project specs + Before and After
Managing a kitchen renovation means that you will have to coordinate all different trades like carpenters to build cabinets, product suppliers, flooring installers, electricians, plumbers, painters, plasterers, designers, and kitchen installers. You will have to manage the trades, their timelines and resolve any conflict that may arise. However, most people do not have the time to manage a project effectively and they prefer employing a company that can manage the entire project for them. Such renovation companies usually provide all the labour involved, have designers, supply materials, and provide appliances at trade prices. They have a project manager that coordinates supplier deliveries, manages all trades and ensures that the renovation is running in regards to the timeline.
6. How much do Renovation Companies charge you?
|Renovation Service||Average Cost|
|Electrical||$3,450 – $6,624|
|Design consultation||$552 – $4,830|
|Cabinetry||$4,140 – $11,040|
|Appliances||$3,450 – $12,420|
|Flooring||$1,518 – $7,590|
|House Permits/approvable||$138 – $1,242|
|Reface Cabinets||$1,518 – $12,420|
|Repair Countertop||$110.40 – $2,208|
|Brand-new Countertop||$1,242 – $6,900|
|Splashback||$552 – $828|
|Painting||$1,380 – $3,450|
|Hardware||$207 – $1,656|
What is the average cost for Kitchen Cabinets?
When you think about your kitchen, the first thing that pops into your head is the space available to store your dry groceries such as canned items, snacks, pasta bags and rice. The kitchen cabinets make a great impression when family and friends come over due to the various textures, materials and colours used within your kitchen renovation. You can expect to spend between $4,140 – $11,040 on an average. The more cabinets you built the more the cost of your kitchen goes up. If you are building top and bottom cabinets then the cost of your kitchen renovation will be higher than a kitchen with bottom cabinets only.
- Basic Kitchen Cabinet cost– keeping your original cabinets. Instead, you can simply replace your cabinet doors or hinges. You can also re-paint them with a fresh coat of paint. This would cost you between $103.50 – $207.00 per linear foot.
- Mid-range Kitchen Cabinets will cost between $138 – $1,242 per linear foot. You can custom built your cabinets through a renovation company with mid-range products. Most of our mid-range kitchens feature custom cabinet carcass and doors with MDF Melteca.
- Luxury Cabinets– You can use more high-end materials for luxury kitchens as budget is mostly not a problem. This will cost you around $2,070 per linear foot.
Melteca destressed custom cabinets (Epsom)
Melteca Oak wood look cabinets
Refinishing Kitchen Cabinet – Average Cost
We all want to Customise our own kitchen, but sometimes it is not always affordable. In such situations you might want to simply change your cabinet doors and handles. There are two inexpensive ways to achieve the results you are looking for.
- Refinishing– removing old paint from existing cabinets and applying fresh coat of paint. However, make sure professionals do the refinish as they are trained to do so and will guarantee a good result. This way is very affordable for homeowners who wish to save and not spend so much. The cost will sit between $2,070 and $4,140.
- Refacing – Using existing cabinets but just changing the existing cabinet doors and adding on newer ones. In this option, homeowners get to choose the materials, colours, and design how they want to. Make sure ask the contractor for some recommendations for custom built option. With this option, it can cost between $4830 and $12,420.
- Additional Hardware’s– This is not an option, but some homeowners love to experiment with their cabinets and drawers by adding handles or knobs to their custom-built kitchen. Newer Handles and Knobs starts from $2.76 to $27.6.
Renovation companies recommend installing new quality appliances as it increases the overall value of your kitchen and home. You can expect to spend between $138 to $414 per appliance. Appliances can be costly and can increase your budget. Hence some homeowners tend to use their old and existing appliances to save costs especially if their current appliances are still working well.
- Basic Appliances – like microwave, garbage disposal and oven usually last a long time. If these appliances are in good working condition, then you do not need to buy new ones. You could save between $276 to $1380 if you are keeping some of your old appliances.
- Energy Star-rated – Why buy energy Star-rated appliances? This is because it will reduce your energy bills, increases lifespan, and home value as it makes your home more energy efficient. There are a lot of energy star rated appliances available today which means there is a choice for everyone regardless of their budget. Energy star rated appliance are however more expensive than basic appliances, but you will be saving more in the long run. Energy star rated appliances will star from $414 for microwaves, $1200 for dishwashers, $1150 for ovens and $1500 for fridges.
- High-end Appliances – are appliances which have a greater lifespan and includes energy star. However, this option has some modern features like Bluetooth, sensors, and more. For these additional features, the cost will be around $1380 to $6900+ per appliance.
- Do you want to Customise your appliances? This option is the most expensive, as they are usually built into your kitchen and can range between $2,070 to $13,800. Nothing needs to change within your kitchen, but the overall integrated look becomes more appealing.
A common question that our clients ask us is regarding the right countertop for their kitchen. This is because there are various materials available today with a huge difference in costs. Homeowners are usually looking for a countertop which is functional, hard-wearing, and water resistant.
For an affordable countertop, try using laminate, or stone engineered countertop. Stone Engineered countertop means man made stone which can be made into marble or granite. When it comes to cost, they are more likely to work for Basic and Mid-range kitchens. The total cost you will be spending on your countertop will be around $2760 to $6210. If budget is not a problem, then you can opt for natural stone like marble or granite. This cost for this will start from about $4000 and can go up till $7,000. If you are getting a luxury renovation, then you can also think about getting a concrete countertop. Concrete countertops are great for contemporary homes but are an expensive choice as they can range anywhere between $9,000 and $20,000.
The table below will show you the range of countertops that are provided and the cost.
|Countertop Material||Cost per Square meter|
|Ceramic Tile||$76.70- $153.30|
|Bamboo||$383.3 – $920|
|Solid Surface||$497.8- $924|
|Butcher Block||$613.3- $920|
|Marble Cost||$613.3 – $1533.3|
|Paper stone||$613.3- $1533.3|
|Granite Cost||$766.7 – $1533.3|
|Terrazzo||$766.7 – $1533.3|
|Quartz Cost||$766.7 – $1533.3|
|Onyx||$766.7 – $3066.7|
If you are looking for a cheaper option for your countertop then try and using your existing countertop and simply repair any damage that exists.
Countertop professionals can provide restoring service, and this cost you around $110.40 – $2,208.
Splashbacks is a key element in a kitchen as it makes cleaning easier. It is often found on the wall behind your stove so it can catch any splatters while cooking. Splashbacks should usually be made with materials that are easy to clean like glass, large tiles with lesser grout lines or engineered stones.
Kitchen renovation in Parnell
Kitchen renovation in Bucklands Beach
Ceramic tiles are a cost-effective option for a splashback if you are on a budget. Ceramic tiles are most popular in the market as they cost around $153.3/sq. meter. Another option you can think about is stainless steel splash back and that will cost about $383.3/sq. meter
Kitchen Flooring Cost
Flooring is an important part of the kitchen as we spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Choosing the right type of flooring is important because your kitchen floor experiences a lot of wear and tear. It must be a material that is easy to clean, does not stain and is resistant to liquids. Before purchasing a flooring material, see if the flooring is durable, hard-wearing, waterproof, and comfortable.
For an affordable flooring option, laminated wood flooring is the most popular and cheap flooring you can purchase in Auckland. Aside from the fact that laminate flooring is the most popular now, it is wise to check with a professional for the right type of flooring option for you.
- Laminated Wood Flooring– The laminated floor looks and feels like real wooden floors, but it is artificial. The cost of laminated flooring is around, $2,070 to $5,520. It is also easy to clean, durable and cost effective when on a tight budget.
- Tiles are another great option for kitchen flooring as they can be easily maintained. Today’s advanced flooring technology allows us to create tiles that look and feel like wood. This means that you can get a beautiful timber or oak look without having the hassle to use natural wood which is hard to maintain.
- If you are looking for a more luxurious option, we recommend homeowners to invest in floorings like Stone-based flooring from Tile depo. Stone-based flooring has lifetime warranty, 100% waterproof, easy maintenance, underflooring heating and stable to sunlight. The average cost for Stone-based flooring is approximately starts from $1,380 – $4,830.
|Flooring Options||Average Cost|
|Ceramic Tile||$690 – $3,036|
|Wood Flooring||$3,036- $6,900|
|Concrete Flooring||$2,070- $9,522|
|Cork Floor||$1,104- $2,208|
|Laminate Flooring||$2,070- $5,520|
|Linoleum Flooring||$1,380- $3,450|
|Slate Floor||$2,070- $4,830|
|Stone Flooring||$1,380- $4,830|
|Vinyl Floor||$1,656- $2,346|
|Bamboo Floors||$828- $1,656|
|Marble Floors||$2070- $6,624|
7. Cost of hiring a designer for your kitchen makeover in NZ.
Some people might think that getting a designer is not necessary when renovating their kitchen. In some cases, renovation companies recommend getting a designer involved especially if they are going for a mid to luxury kitchen renovation. Designers can advise you on textures, colours, materials, and styles that are popular today. A designer will also create 3D models as well as rendering model of your kitchen with all the paint, materials, door handles, countertops, and appliances so you are able to visualise what your kitchen will look like after the renovation. A renovation company often has their own in-house designers that will work with the project managers throughout the renovation, so your drawings are turned into a living reality.
Above are a few elevations of 3D rendered drawings that our designer Dorothy created for a client who needed a kitchen renovation.
The kitchen above is an example of 3D renderings and designs that our designer Cici created for a client that needed a kitchen renovation in Parnell
Certified designers charge about $6,900+ or an average of $138 to $276 per hour in Auckland.
8. How much does Labour cost for renovating your kitchen?
Answer: To hire multiple labourers it will approximately cost between $2760 to $10,280. This would include plumbers, electricians, tilers, grouters, painters, plasterers, installers, builders, project managers, designers, and architects in case you need council permit.
This only applies to homeowners who might need to replace or change the pipes in their homes. For instance, new pipping for sink, waste etc. However, each kitchen faucet has its own expense.
- For a basic kitchen faucet, it costs around $207 to $414. The cost for kitchen faucets can however vary depending on the brand or style you choose. Certain designer faucets can cost up to $2000.
- The cost to install a kitchen sink and that is $345 to $828.
- Changing appliances also requires a plumber and that will cost you around $621 to $2480.
How much does it cost for Lighting and electricity work in your kitchen?
Electrical works cost about $69 to $138 per hour. This includes.
- Installing recessed lighting
- Cables for new appliances – stove, microwave, washing machine and oven.
- Light switches – plugs, USB ports, inside cabinet lights etc.
- Under cabinet lights.
Changing gas lines can be a big expense as you need this to be done by professionals who are certified. The cost for this could range between $345 to $2,500.
We recommend clients to get their kitchens professionally painted. This is because a good paint job by a professional will always give you better and long-lasting results as compared to if you do a DIY job at home.
Professional painting is more expensive than regular painting as it includes plastering, gib stopping, applying 2 under coats, and 2 topcoats. Professionals will also cover your cabinets, help moving appliances away, and masking the electric ports.
It starts from $1,104 for small kitchens and can go up to $3,500 for larger kitchens.
Tilers and Flooring
If you are renovating your entire kitchen then chances are that you will also be changing your flooring. If you are installing laminate flooring, then you will have to hire a professional to help you install it. The average cost to supply and install laminate flooring is between $80 – $140 per square metre. To install laminate flooring, labour will cost between $50 – $80 per square meter.
If you are installing tiles on your floors, then you will have to hire a tiler as well as grouter. The labour cost to tile an average kitchen will range from $1000 to $3500 depending on the complexity of the installation. If you are installing larger tiles, then the labour cost will be lower as there will be lesser grout lines. If you are installing smaller tiles, then the labour cost will be higher as there will be more grouting that will have to be done.
In New Zealand, Auckland Council looks after your property permits. Permits are required if you are extensively changing the layout of your kitchen. When you change the layout of your kitchen, the plumbers will have to build additional pipes which need permit from the council. You would also need a permit if you were planning on demolishing a load bearing wall in the kitchen.
What Auckland Council does is that they see what your architect has drawn and see if the remodels of your house can go further. Auckland council reviews the drawings by your architect for either the demolition of your load bearing wall, rewiring, or building additional pipes. Once they have approved the permits, your contractor will begin their work. Building permits from Auckland Council cost you around $2500 – $6500. However, you must know that it takes about 1 to 5 months to get an approval from the council. Our advice is to send your permits earlier in the year, so the work can begin and finish before Christmas.
9. How to remodel a kitchen on a budget?
Whatever the reason, budgeting is important when renovating. This is especially true when you are about to invest in something that requires you to spend your hard-earned money. It is good to have a clear idea on what you want to spend so you can set a fixed budget for the renovation. It is good to get a fixed quote from your renovation company before committing to them.
We also ask our clients to have some extra money saved as there could be some unforeseen circumstances along the way. This could include finding water damage or rotten timber once the renovation is already underway. This could cost you an additional $1000 – $2000.
Basic Kitchen on a Budget.
For a basic kitchen, the estimate to renovate your kitchen is around $20,700. You must know that when budgeting for a basic kitchen, you must pick your materials and install for yourself or finding professionals that are suitable to your budget. Please see table below for what budgeting plan that suits you.
Basic, Mid-Range, High-end Kitchen on a Budget.
|Basic Kitchen||Mid-Range Kitchen||High-end Kitchen|
|$20,700 max||$32,700- $41,400||> $41,400|
||You will have more freedom to Customise.
from start to end.
Top 4 tips when renovating on a budget
- If you wish to save, then try D.I.Y projects. This is a great way to do things yourself as you get to customize and pick whatever materials you want. For instance, you can change cabinetry and do the painting yourself. This way you will save on labour costs as well as project management. However, you might want to consider hiring a professional for plumbing and electrical as these are specialised tasks.
- Try and pick your own cabinetry. Try and decide if you want to reface or refresh your cabinets. Both these options are very affordable choices when for a budget kitchen. For instance, change cabinets doors or just remove old paint and repaint your cabinets.
- Upgrade only essential things in your kitchen rather than what you desire. You might consider changing your cabinet door handles, shelving’s or even a fancy rose gold faucet at a later stage.
- Organise your budget well – If you are on a tight budget then chances are that you will have to manage your own project. Hiring a company that provides project management might not suit your budget. If you are managing your renovation, then make sure you are there every step of the way. It is a good idea to renovate in stages.
10. Return on Investment (ROI) on a Kitchen Makeover in NZ
In compassion, about 54% to 80% return rate has been recorded. Real estate market has been very good and has increase since renovating in 2018. We want the best for you to gain something in return of your house. Hoping your kitchen increases higher than you spend on your kitchen. Note that, your ROI depends on the neighbour your live in too as for your future buyers look this as an advantage because of your area per square meter. Here are some statistics that would help you make the best decision for your kitchen.
- For the cost of your Basic Kitchen, 80% will increase your home’s value in the market approximately around $23,430.
- For the cost of your Mid-range Kitchen, 59% will increase your home’s value in the market approximately around $52,440.
- For the cost of your Luxury Kitchen, 54% will increase your home’s value in the market approximately by around $92,460.
11. 7 Tips on planning your Kitchen Renovation
Set a budget! Tell yourself, can you do it on your own, D.I.Y, or willing to hire a renovation company to do it for you.
- See what is best for your kitchen layout! If need help, then you might want to consider a designer to help you with the layout of your kitchen.
- Think of your kitchen needs than your personal desires as you can invest on other things at a later day.
- Pick the aspects of your kitchen that need more attention and get help restoring them. This will help you reduce your budget; however, additional cost will apply when making changes in the future.
- Renovating a kitchen takes between 6-8 weeks so make sure you are renovating at a time when you do not need your kitchen a lot. You could also consider creating a makeshift kitchen during the renovation process.
- Make sure that you choose a renovation company that has good health and safety practices in place. Speak to your contractor about this and they will sort some things out for you as dust from renovating may cause long-damage to your health when breathing in the dust. Try a vacation!
- Cleaning! Ask you contractor if you wish for a cleaning service and they will do that for you.
- After your renovation is complete, inspect your kitchen with your contractor and make sure you let them know of any errors you encounter.
- Also check if your kitchen is spotless after cleaning your kitchen dust.
- Better to ask your contractor about your warranties for your appliances, materials, and workmanship once your renovation is complete.
- Lastly, most importantly, enjoy your kitchen! 😊
12. How to choose the right renovation company in Auckland?
9 things to look at before choosing your renovation company
- Research– Find at least three renovation companies that you can hire to renovate your kitchen. This can be done by asking friends and families. It would also be good to check the company’s profile by looking at their website. When checking their website, you want to check out the company’s reputation like their testimonials, current projects or google reviews from customers.
- Meet the people – It is also good to meet the project manager from the company and have a chat with him/her about similar projects that they have done in the past. Ask them as many questions as you want. This will help you understand how your interaction is going to be with them for the duration of the project.
- Quotation– Do not accept the first quote you get from a company. Get several quotes and compare them. Make sure that you get a fixed quote with possible variations clearly outlined. The cheapest company is not always the best company so choose carefully.
- Trust– It is important to check the companies’ suppliers. Normally the renovation company will advertise them on the internet but, make sure you ask them about their suppliers. Choose a company that works with reputed suppliers who provide warranties and guarantees for their products.
- Legitimate company- This is crucial aspect when deciding on the company that you wish to hire for your kitchen. All companies should have a practicing license to operate. Make sure you do some research about the company’s license on: https://companies-register.companiesoffice.govt.nz/
- Testimonials – Make sure you ask about their past kitchen remodels before choosing the company. This will help you see what the experience of their clients have been while renovations.
- Talk to past clients – You can ask the renovation company to give you a list of their past clients. Have a chat with these clients about their experience with the company. You can ask about the materials they used for their cabinets, countertop, flooring or even the splashback. Another question to ask past clients would be to see if there were any faults? Were the past clients satisfied with their kitchen or were looking for something else?
- Insurance– Make sure that the renovation company has insurance in case of any mishap during the renovation. Another way to see if renovation companies have chosen is the right business is by checking if the company can handle the project as it is willing to finish on time by a date. This shows that the business is a healthy and thriving business with good systems in place.
- The Contract– Get in touch with your bank, accountant, or lawyer with your decision to go to the next step. The kitchen remodels will draw you and contract with the steps, quotes, insurance, or a timeline of the project before signing it. It is recommended to see if both parties agree with the contract and wish to move to the next step.
In conclusion, the cost of renovating a kitchen depends on various factors. Budget planning also depends on what your needs are and how you interact as a family in the kitchen. If you are renovating to sell or to add value for a better rental yield then you should just do an upgrade like changing cabinets and painting the room for a better return on investment.
If you are renovating to improve functionality and increase your quality of life then make sure that you choose materials that last you a long time and are easy to maintain. A designer will also help you improve the functionality of your kitchen by either changing the layout or maximising storage by incorporating innovate storage etc features.
A renovation company like ours provides a full service which includes cost for design, custom built countertops, cabinets, all trades like electricians, plumbing, tilers, grouters, painters, builders, council permits, appliances, fixtures and project management.
Full kitchen renovation in Papatoetoe
This kitchen was renovated for a young family with little kids which meant that we had to have a simple design and easy to clean materials. We used Tiled flooring, stone engineered countertop, and cabinets made of Melteca. We also built a custom pantry with pull out drawers for easy access.
Full Kitchen renovation Hillsborough
The reason we renovated this kitchen was because the external wall was leaking and it needed to be repaired. Due to this our client experienced a lot of damage and hence decided to renovate. We renovated this kitchen in a simple style with low maintenance materials
Mid Range Kitchen renovations
Lynette and Henry’s Kitchen renovation in Bucklands Beach
Lynette and Henry was renovated with a dark stone engineered countertop, against white soft close cabinets to create a dramatic effect. Shades of grey and black were used in shape of hexagonal tiles for a backsplash to create interest and a focal point for the kitchen. Grey large tiles were used on the floor which were also continued to the dining room.
Cottage Style Kitchen in Mangere Bridge
This cottage style kitchen was one of the first kitchens we renovated of this style. It features real wooden benchtop that was restored and coated to avoid wear and tear. The cabinets were custom built in the shaker style that is popular for cottage style homes.
Guru and Neeta’s kitchen in Massey
This kitchen was extensively renovated with a change in layout that involved structural changes. Previously the space contained 3 separate rooms which were the dining, kitchen and living room. We demolished all the walls and renovated the entire area to make a large easy flowing space which was great for entertainment and family living.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to renovate my kitchen?
An average kitchen in Auckland will be between $22,000 - $30,000 if you are renovating with a renovation company. To see all the factors that determine the cost for a kitchen renovation you can read our kitchen cost guide : https://superiorrenovations.co.nz/kitchenrenovationcostnz
Do I have to get my own kitchen designer?
If you are renovating with us, we have in-house designers that will help you with advice as well as create 3D models and renderings of your finished kitchen before we start renovating.
Do I have to get my own electrician, plumbers or any other labourers?
We are a full kitchen renovation company. This means that our quotes include design, supplying of all fixtures, custom built benchtops, custom build cabinets, electricians, flooring, lighting, plumbing, painters, plasterers and a project manager to oversee the entire renovation. You will not have to get any additional trademen.
How do I renovate my kitchen on a tight budget?
Planning is key when renovating on a budget. if you are looking at renovating to resell or add value then we would recommend upgrading a few things like cabinet doors, countertops and painting the kitchen. This should cost you between $4,000 to $10,000. If you are doing a DIY job then the price can get cheaper.
Further Resources for your house renovation
- Featured projects and Client stories to see specifications on some of the projects.
- Real client stories from Auckland
Need more information?
Take advantage of our FREE Complete Home Renovation Guide (48 pages), whether you’re already renovating or in the process of deciding to renovate, it’s not an easy process, this guide which includes a free 100+ point check list – will help you avoid costly mistakes.
Still have questions unanswered? schedule a no-obligation consultation with the team at Superior Renovations
Or call us on 0800 199 888
Have you been putting off getting renovations done?
We have partnered with Q Mastercard ® to provide you an 18 Month Interest-Free Payment Option, you can enjoy your new home now and stress less.
Learn More about Interest-Free Payment Options*
*Lending criteria, fees, terms and conditions apply. Mastercard is a registered trademark and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.